Follow Us

jueves, 5 de abril de 2018

Granada's Activism


Hello Hello, I was waiting to wrte this blog because what I am going to talk about is a topic that interests me a lot; Activism.

Well for someone like me coming from a country like Tunisia, seeing the activism life in Granada is a fascinating thing. 

These past weeks have been nothing but GREAT, I got the chance to see how things function in another country. For example in my country if you hear the word protest or demonstration or HUELGA ! Then it means Chaos, police arrests, jail and a lot of violence.

A Regular Protest in Tunisia

On the 8th of March 2018 more than 30 thousand people attended the protest of the Huelga Feminista that was organized on the International Women Day.


 The streets were flooded with people supporting the Huelga. I never been in such a strike or demonstration. It was an amazing new experience for me, I met there with Sara and my mentor Asun and their friends, it was very challenging to find them, we were sending pictures of umbrellas to try to find each other’s locations lol




A lot of NGO’s where present and sooo many people from all sort of ages aiming to praise the amazing role of women in the society and to point the discrimination that women still face in our nowadays life whether at home or work.  It was simply a HISTORICAL day all over Spain not only in Granada and I am so glad to be part of such event.





That made me want to find out more about LGBT activist life in Granada because honestly in my country it was IMPOSSIBLE for me to get involved because I could go to jail for 3 years.
So I looked for some NGO’s and I contacted Granada Visible and many other NGO’s, luckily I met an amazing person; Elena, she added me to their WhatsApp group and also invited me to their meeting which gathered all kind of LGBT Ngo’s in Granada and that is where I made contact with someone from Amnesty International and that also invited me to their meeting where I met with amazing people too.


For me being in those meetings was a very important thing because for the first time in life I was in the same room with people who are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans…  And most importantly to feel safe and scared of getting arrested. I don’t know how to describe this but I felt such a relief.

I am so happy that I will attend my first Gay Pride in Granada and to be involved in the planning procedures with the local NGO's.






No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario