Follow Us

martes, 28 de mayo de 2019

Madrid Ain't That Bad - Marci


During my EVS, I've been to Madrid quite frequently and I have to say, I didn't become the greatest fan of the place. In fact I've kind of thought of it as the London of Spain... The similarities are pretty obvious: great cultural and arts scene, with fantastic museums and galleries, but it's a pain in the ass to get around, it is super crowded, with expensive rent and lacking character compared to cities like Granada. That said, Madrid has kind of grown on me over time!


I was in Madrid for the first time about 4 years ago, as I was on my way to Íllora and Granada for a youth exchange. I only saw a couple of things, like the Cibeles palace and the Retiro park that I really liked. A year later I did a trip through Spain (see a funny attempt at vlogging from that trip HERE) and I actually got to spend some time in Madrid. I used those two days pretty much exclusively to go and see exhibitions that were on at the time, like Bosch, Caravaggio and a photography exhibition, along with some smaller galleries and the permanent collections of the Thyssen and the Prado. Those were an intensely cultural two days...



Since then, I've been back numerous times during my EVS. Especially since my girlfriend started working there, I've visited fairly frequently! That meant that I had to realize how expensive it is to rent there and how much commuting it takes to get around when you don't live in the center. The metro system is pretty good, but some of the lines are being repaired and the integration of the local light railways (Cercanías) and the metro system leaves a lot to be desired. It is also quite pricey to eat out and do things there, compared to Granada, but that's not surprising - after all it's the capital!



What really made me like the place is the number of parks and green areas! Of course, most people know about the Retiro, but looking at the map, the whole city is just full of them. I think the coolest one is at the edge of the city called Casa de Campo, which is feels like a little wild escape to the hills, when it is within walking distance of the Royal Palace and the city center.




The galleries and the art scene is still great, and neighborhoods like Salamanca or going to the Rastro when the market is on is definitely very cool and hipster! We've spent the last weekend just walking around, going with the flow and seeing both old and new places. Sure, I think Granada is a 100x cooler place, but I have to admit, Madrid has grown on me a little.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario